Are You a Retro-Skier?
Are you a Retro-Skier? In other words, are you a skier who has shared some of the memories included in this blog? Here’s a test to see how you rate as a Retro-Skier. Yes, I know, once a teacher always a teacher.
For each question, check all the answers that apply:
1. Indicate which of the following skis you have skied:
- ____Wooden skis, no steel edges
- ____Wooden skis with steel edges
- ____Wooden skis with P-Tex base
- ____Head Skis: Masters, Comp GS, or Comp Slalom
- ____Rossi Stratos
2. Indicate the length of skis you have skied
- ____Greater than 210cm (men), 200cm (women)
- ____206-210cm (men), 191-200cm (women)
- ____201-205cm (men), 181-190cm (women)
- ____180-200cm (men), 160-180cm (women)
- ____Less than 180cm (men), 160cm (women)
3. Indicate which of the following ski boots you have used
- ____Laced leather ski boots with no inner boot
- ____Laced leather ski boot with laced inner boot
- ____Leather buckle ski boots
- ____Plastic ski boots
- ____Foamed-fit ski boots
4. Indicate which of the following bindings you have used
- ____Bear trap, free-heel bindings
- ____Cable binding with release capability
- ____Racing Turntable (Bonus point if you used a long-thong)
- ____Cubco binding
- ____Look Nevada toe piece
5. Indicate which of the following ski lifts you have used
- ____There were no lifts, I walked!
- ____Rope tow
- ____T-bar or J-bar
- ____Poma lift
- ____Single Chair
6. Indicate which of the following ski pants you have worn
- ____Wool snow pants
- ____Gabardine in-the-boot ski pants
- ____In-the-boot stretch pants
- ____Over-the-boot stretch pants (Bonus point if you had stretch pants with a racing stripe!)
7. Indicate which of the following ski parkas you have worn
- ____Poplin pullover
- ____Long-line parka with belt
- ____Down-filled parka
- ____Wind shirt (Bonus point if it had a flowered or psychedelic pattern!)
- ____One-piece ski suit (Bonus point if it was fluorescent colors!)
8. Indicate which of the following ski hats you have worn
- ____Cap with ear flaps and chin strap(See photo)
- ____Hand-knit head and ear band
- ____Moriarty hat
- ____Knit hat with big pom-pom (Subtract one point if that hat was long enough to also be used as a scarf!)
9. Indicate which of the following you have done
- ____Carried a stick of wax with you so you could wax during a day of skiing
- ____Hot waxed your own skis (Bonus point if you used your mother’s or wife’s iron!)
- ____Used a flat bastard mill file on your skis
- ____Used a P-Tex candle to repair your ski
- ____Burned a hole in the carpet with a P-Tex candle
10. Indicate which of the following you have paid for an all-day ski ticket
- ____Less than $5
- ____$5 – $20
- ____$21 – $50
- ____$51 – $80
- ____Greater than $80
5 Point bonus if the first lift-served ski area you ever skied is no longer a ski area!
Add up the number of checks plus bonuses to determine your score!
There are 60 total points available including bonuses. How do you rate?
- Greater than 45 points – you are the ultimate Retro-Skier and should be writing this blog!
- 35-45 points – You’re a Retro-Skier! (I scored a 40!)
- 15-34 points – You’re a Retro-Skier with an *, sort of like Barry Bonds’ home run record.
- Less than 15 points – It’s great to be young! See all the things you missed.