Rear-Entry Ski Boots: The Impossible Dream!

If you look up “love-hate relationship” in a thesaurus, one of the resulting synonyms will be “ski boots!” Ski boots are the most important piece of ski equipment whether you’re a beginner or an expert. But since the beginning of recreational skiing, ski boots have also been the source of the most frustration.

It’s difficult to imagine many skiers who truly love their ski boots. They can be difficult to get on or off. They can be too tight or too loose. They can even hurt. But we accept the struggle to get the performance.

However there are still some remnants of a radical group who thought ski boots should be easy to put on and comfortable. Those are the rear-entry ski boot fanatics.

Alden Hanson was the chief scientist for Dow Chemical in the late 1960s. He and his two sons Chris and Denny were also skiers. The elder Hanson had developed a flow material and eventually interested Lange boots in using it for their boot liners. Chris and Denny went to work for Lange and Lange-Flo was born. That’s a good-news-bad-news story that will have to wait for another column. The two brothers would be fired by Lange in 1969 –  not about Lange-Flo, but because they were working on their own radical new ski boot design.

Hanson Rear-Entry Ski BootsChris and Denny Hanson would start their own company, Hanson Industries, and produce the first rear-entry ski boot in 1971. Their father, Alden, officially holds the patent on the design.

I received several correct answers concerning who invented the rear-entry ski boot. The first was from a non-skiing friend, Anne Nichols Pierce, who is a court reporter. She knew the answer because she had been the recorder for a deposition from Alden Hanson in a skiing accident liability suit years ago! Other correct answers came from former Hanson ski boot owner Rick Scotti and Stowe Host Bill Kornrumpf.

Rear-entry boots were easy to put on, simple to close, and many people found them comfortable to wear. Hanson split the front of the boot and used a sliding clamp to adjust flex. Slide the clamp to the top for the stiffest flex, slide the clamp to the bottom for the softest flex.

The rear-entry design caught on quickly with recreational skiers. By 1975 Hanson was competing with Lange for market share. By 1980 they were producing 120,000 ski boots a year which was approximately 50% of the United States market. You saw a lot of the bright orange or lime green Hansons on the slopes.

But the Hansons made some bad business decisions including buying the Hexcel ski company. Then the 1982-83 ski season was hurt by a lack of snow which translated into poor sales. In 1984 the Hansons ran out of cash and sold the company to Daiwa of Japan. Hanson ski boots disappeared from the United States and European markets.

Salomon SX92 Rear-Entry Ski BootsMany ski boot companies would try to fill the void left by Hanson’s departure by introducing rear-entry models. Even Lange would have some rear-entry boots. However Salomon would have the most success in the rear-entry ski boot market. They actually went after the high performance racing market with their SX-9x series that had a more complicated design to adjust hold-down and flex. Just like the Hanson they caught on quickly and developed a fanatical following, but again only with recreational skiers.

Bob Walker's Salomon SX93's

Bob Walker's boots in 2004

Bob Walker took up skiing “late in life” during the 1980s. He started with Salomon’s first rear-entry boot the SX-90. After ten plus years he upgraded to the SX-93 which he then skied on until about 2005. “They were warm, comfortable, easy to get on and…I liked the idea that you could adjust the stiffness by just sliding a control on the front of the boot.” Bob now logs more than a million vertical feet of skiing a season in the Lake Tahoe region with conventional front-entry boots.

Somewhere in the late 1990s ski boot companies began to retreat from rear-entry boot models. To my knowledge only Alpina still advertises a rear-entry, medium-priced model now. The accepted explanation is that conventional front-closing ski boots are now easier to put on and more comfortable so there’s no need for rear-entry models. Hmmm? Am I the only one who doesn’t buy that explanation?

Meanwhile I’m betting if we get some snow this season, I’ll still see someone using 25-year-old Salomon SX92’s probably on some skinny Dynastars! Say what you will, at least their boots are comfortable!

This entry was posted in Columns. Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Rear-Entry Ski Boots: The Impossible Dream!

1. Robert Ritchey says:

Still on my SX92s but gave up my old Rossi skis for some new Volkl RTMs.

2. Kris Matlack says:

I still have Salomen rear entry boots , and still prefer old Rossignol skis.But am getting used to a pair of wooden core Volkl new skis…I just don’t like the way they turn themselves…..perhaps great for beginners.but I learned to ski age 5 at Sun Valley in 1954and both parents were on 5 Olympic teams between them. 1932 through the 1940 teams when the games were cancelled due to the war.
    The Solomon rear entry Boots are the best …remember the pain of the early Langes…medieval torture instruments !

• Jack Lyons says:

Hey Kris !
      Oh, WOW, do I hear you re the old Lange boots, the very first!
      OMG, they KILLED my feet. I had forgotten how miserable my life was when i skied with them; indeed, just WEARING them brought travail.
      I had a pair of rear-entry ski boots in the 1970s or ’80s, and yeeee-yow, did I love them. Into or out of the boots in minus one minute.
      Hey, thanks for the trip down memory lane, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Debbie Webster says:

I am still skiing with my Salomon rear entry boots! Started skiing young in 1969 and after years of Nordica, Lange, Fischer (I think) and pain, my Salomons are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever had. If I could drive a car in them I would wear them all the time. As a nurse, comfortable, supportive foot wear is important. The clomping does wake some patients up, but with these I have the energy for 12+ hour shifts and a relaxing glide down the slopes after.

3. Rod Sweeney says:

You found me! I still use rear entry boots mounted to skinny long Dynastars. Surprisingly, they are still in near new condition as I take very good care of my gear. Every time I ski, mostly at Copper Mountain or Keystone, I get comments from fellow riders on the lifts about my ‘old school’ or ‘Retro’ set up! I keep saying this will be the year I embrace the new technology, but at 50 years old, I am too comfortable with my 21 year old equipment, so until something with my skis or boots wears out or breaks, I will be sticking with the tried and true. And no, they are not for sale!

4. Dave Darden says:

If the Salomon SX-92 came out again I would buy them in a second. Most comfortable recreational boot I ever had until the hinge pin rivet on the cable lever broke. One lever, two adjustable tightening cables for shin and foot. Pull the lever up to loosen on the ride up and let the blood get back to you feet. Push it back down at the top and you are good to go. Can’t do that with the 4 buckle plus velcro crap of a front entry. C’mon Salomon, or somebody. It was a great design. Give it another run.

5. Paul Wick says:

I agree with the rest, I am still on my red SX 81’s and K2 KVC Comp (200’s). My 17 year old son laughs but the last time we were out and he thought he could beat me down the hill, he got a rude awakening. I cannot believe Salomon does not bring the rear entry boots back. I have been waiting a long time for these. With new shell and liner materials, I would be the first in line. The old boots had a great design and so much adjustability. Who cares if racers do not like them, how much money is there from racers, half of them get there boots for free. The Rec market pays the bills and easy entry, comfort, adjustability, and the fact that no other companies make them in mind says they sell like hot cakes!

• Mike Mancini says:

I agree and btw, I also have a pair of K2KVC comps(190). I feel like a celebrity when I ski with my retro equipment. Everyone has a comment like “I have a pair of them, hanging on my wall”, “best boots I ever owned”. Great conversation starter. Equipment makers take note.

6. Jill says:

Yup, I’m still on the rear entry boots – any model as I can get. As they start to wear out I have to buy ‘new’ on ebay! They are the only type of boot that doesn’t give me cramp and I’ve tried countless others. The only others that come near are the Full Tilt, but can I get these or the Alpina in Europe….nope. Someone out there, listen, start producing the rear entry boots again…..please, before my skiing days are over!

7. Scott says:

I get frustrated with the ski industry always saying yesterday’s technology is so outdated or even dangerous that we have to buy new stuff every year. The idea that a rear entry boot is only good for a beginner or intermediate at best is ludicrous. While I agree you probably don’t want to ski competitively with them, you can certainly be aggressive and have good control. I had a pair of Nordica 927s for years that I absolutely loved. They were worn and I tossed them before I realized you can’t replace them. I continue to look for something comparable and have so far had no luck.

8. Jeff Fleming says:

I bought the Alpina R4.0 at the end of the season last year. Looking forward to trying them out as soon a our local ski area opens!
    Here’s a link: https://www.amazon.com/Alpina-Rear-Entry-Boots-2016/dp/B01FG9RRV4

9. Mat Power says:

I have an an old pair of Munari MS3s tried to get into newer boots and for a recreational guy like me it was so much less comfortable. I have had so many people tell me I’m going to break my leg. there is this myth about the dangers of a rear entry boot, I really believe that when the manufacturing adapted the modern boot design and everyone started doing it retailers just used that as an excuse to get customers looking for a rear entry boot off their backs. By the way I’m only 27, my boots are older then me, my uncle gave them to me when I complained of foot pain from an old hockey injury while skiing.

10. Mike Mancini says:

This guy must have seen me on the slopes at Okemo. Salomon SX81 rear entry boots and Dynastar Vertical skis from the 1990s ! At 68 yrs old, I’m a cruiser who can still do the black diamonds if they dont have moguls. I dont need no stinkin new skis just because they are “easier to turn”. A real man can ski on skinny skis not them whimpy wide boards. I will keep my rear entry boots until they break…most comfortable boots I ever owned and I can tighten them down very well if need be.

• Bill Freeman says:

Mike, I’m 70 and your comments have me laughing. Totally agree. Used my 1978 Salomon SX 90 e until they fell apart . .. the plastic holding the buckle cables cracked. As comfortable as you can make a boot. With the “e” you could get a “stiff” tongue on a free request. Very nice for more edging and turning. (on Atomic skis, Marker bindings)

I grew up on cable bindings (Dovre) and leather boots. Manly-manly . .. “pain”! A step up from wooden planks and rope I suspect. Modern is better but I’ve yet to find better than the Salomon SX 90s.

11. TonyBear61 says:

Used rear-entry off and on since they first came out in the 70s. Three of the four members in the family use them (Solomon and Rachlie).

I did have a bad experience this year when my Tecnicas blew apart. I noticed the first one while on the Gondola(front toe fell off) , the second one fractured and front half was falling off by the time I got to the rental shop, where they are currently on display.

I have had multiple foot surgeries so rear-entry is the most comfortable and only practical boot for me. Luckily the rental shop had a new pair of rear-entry boots from Nordica. Skied with them for two days comfortably.

12. Ronnie rother says:

I’ve been using rear entry Salomon boots since…well, I can’t remember the year I purchased them! SK 72 Friends tell me they are no longer safe to wear because the pads on the underneath side are chipping away. But, I’ll continue to use them until they fall apart and I can’t attach to my ski bindings. Hey, anyone know? Can I replace these pieces? My feet are comfortable and never cold!!!! I’m hoping before my skiing days are over that someone will bring back the design????.

13. Barry C says:

I had a pair of rear entries for years and loved them for their ease of use and comfort. The heels had worn so much from scraping on lodge concrete floors and stairs that my ski shop said they were no longer stable enough for a step-in binding to hold them safely. These heels were screwed to the sole and were replaceable, but I missed the last new parts available by two years. By the way, for true warmth and comfort, I have never experienced the equal of my very first ski boots, which were hand-made in Austria entirely of leather with separate lacing systems for the inner boot and outer shell.

14. Greg says:

From my memory banks …I owned a pair of Humanic (long gone as a boot brand) black plastic rear entry boots with a couple of flexible cable external closures in the early 70’s.I have NEVER seen a pair on eBay or a photo of these. Anybody else own a pair of these ski shoes? I think a bought a pair of Scott’s next season.

• eric Smith says:

When you go onto ebay, try searching for “Dynafit” boots.

Humanic changed their name to this in the mid 70’s I believe.
      Maybe this re-branded boot offered a rear entry model that was similar to the old Humanic.

15. Ray says:

Skiing Taos today and went back to my Solomon SX82
    Boots since the rentals killed my feet yesterday . If 82
    Designates the year then I guess I got them around then
    but thought I had them By 1980

• Wilbur says:

@Ray, as I recall, the first number in old Salomon-speak designated the relative experience of the wearer to which they were targeted. So the SX-60s and -70s were meant for intermediate skiers (and I think there were SX-40s and -50s aimed at beginners). The second number indicated the version number of the boots, so SX-82s were the successor to SX-81s, which had replaced SX-80s.

Your SX-80s were for advanced (or high-intermediate-to-advanced), while the SX-90s were for advanced to expert. I say “SX-80s” because you certainly could be remembering right about having had them in 1980, but all Salomons ended in “0” that year. The SX-n1 series began around 1984, followed by the -n2s around 1988, and the final SX-n3s a few years after that.

This is all based on my slightly hazy recollections of working a wonderful season in Tahoe at the Alpine Meadows rental/repair shop about 34 years (good lord!) ago, so YMMV.

16. Arya says:

I’ve used my SX91 Équipe rear entry boots, K2 skies w/Salomon 747 bindings since mid 89’s and Fischer SC4 skies with Tyrolia 390 bindings (which I have hardly used). Going to Mammoth this weekend and my local REI tech says should not use them. Won’t tuneup the bindings & Mfrs can’t guarantee both bindings to release properly, since they are old. Rent the ski and boots @ Mammoth.
    Appreciate sharing your thoughts.

17. william says:

I’ve been skiing for 54 years. About 25 years ago a friend stopped skiing and gave me his ski equipment including his rear entry Soloman boots. While they looked really stupid in white color I tried them and have skied happily in them since. I remain an avid supporter of the technology and design today. Why the industry departed from this direction is beyond me. I see people today struggle to get their boots on and off and suffer with discomfort as they did 50 years ago.This past year the rear plastic sole on my boot disintegrated. Rather than replace with new boots, to my wife horror, I i made a new sole out of Maple in my wood shop. Works great. Making one for other side now.

• Jeanne Venne says:

I have rear entry soloman boots that I bought years ago at a resale shop. The toe and heel pads are crumbling. I love my boots and have never had cold feet in them. Is it possible to purchase new soles from you for my boots?

18. Rob says:

About 15 years ago, I went on a spree and bought on-line multiple pairs of Salomon SX-9x rear entry boots to equip the entire family. I still ski with my SX-91s, and have two pairs of virtually untouched SX-91 Equipe and SX-93.

Before I purchased these boots, I had a pair of SX-90s which finally failed (toe cracked) took a left turn and purchased a pair of front-entry Nordicas which I hated. Then, made the course correction and back to rear-entry Salomons.

• Peter Humphries says:

I skied and raced in SX91 Equipe boots and wished that I had the pull of World Cup winner Marc Girardelli, who had extras made when they were discontinued, but I had to give them up in the late 1990s when the plastic got so soft that they were only good for moguls.

I suffered for more than a decade with the best overlap boots that I could find, but I finally, like you, started buying Salomon Equipe rear entry boots on eBay until I found some that I liked. I used some SX93 Equipe boots for a year and then found my current SX92 Equipe R boots, which I think were made for me and put away until I was ready to buy them. 😀

My daughter loves her SX 92 Equipe boots, but the rest of my stash I am keeping for myself.

19. Robert Michelson says:

I have skied on Solomon rear entry boots since 1985. I upgraded to my current SX92 in 2001. I bought them on e-bay. So comfortable, one buckle and my setting is always the same and correct. I am an old (76) recreational skier and do black and double black diamond runs some of the time. I have never felt that my boots lacked performance or precision. My late wife was so jealous of my first pair (in 85) that she went right out and bought some herself. She used these for the rest of her life. You can ski better if your feet are comfortable. Why did they stop producing this wonderful product?

20. Frank Blackstone says:

Skied the Hansens for as long as they lasted and then went to the salamon and still ski them . Have no idea why some Do not bring them back , Im geting older at 76 now so best hurry or my Salomons might give out

21. Pinky. says:

Nike is steeling your design for their rear entry high top shoe. Check it out!!!

22. Jim Cameron says:

We sold a lot of ski boots at Rachle Molitor USA in the 80s! d Guess who was the OEM manufacturer for those boots? Dalbello. This “cool factor” with front entry boots drives me nuts. Rear entry boots were unquestionably more comfortable for more skiers. What we forget is that they also performed great for most skiers! Our industry switched back to overlap and traditional front entry boots in the late 90s. Look at our skiing numbers since. People forget that 4 time World Cup Racing ace Mark Girardelli wore Salomon rear entry boots! Remember?

23. Bill Tucker says:

Great to read these comments, “only” been skiing since 98 so missed rear entry boots and worked my way thru 2 pairs of front entry boots before got fed up with pain, black toenails etc and bought a pair of ( unused )SX73s on e bay. Now have another pair of SX91s , and have just changed their linings by swapping from a pair of SX72s.
    Don’t throw them away! My kids tease me, but I get my boots on in less than a minute, and don’t think I ski any worse. I did fit my custom footbeds, and I never intend to go back to ‘ modern’ boots.
    And, as has been said, I can walk and sit comfortably in them.

24. Tony says:

I had the rear entry Nordica Polarises from the late 70’s that I skied hard as an instructor and then a ski patroler until the late 90’s or early 2000’s. I had Nordica rebuild them 4 or 5 times until they reported they had run out of partsfor the boots. The boots weren’t I’m warm but they gave great support for my ankles and legs when I needed to be on my feet for 6 or 8 hours skiing. I’m very disappointed to find that no one is making a decent rear entry boot especially after at 57 last I cramped up so severely that I had to get help getting the boots off (embarrassing). Now at 58 I may never put the old boards on (I still ski my Rossi 203s and 207s) if I can’t find a boot that is easier to get on and off.
    It sucks when you can’t find the ski equipment you like to enjoy a sport you have loved for almost a half a century.

25. MIke slonaker says:

I am still skiing my Salomon exp 83. I have managed to find parts and pieces and replacement soles to continue using them. Still the best pair of boots I’ve ever owned comfortable warm and I too have been on ski patrol at a ski instructor since the 70s. I have gone to full rocker skis and I crossed over two hard plate snowboarding with the same pair of boots

• Grant Artist says:

Hi Mike,
      Read your comments re: Salomon exp 83. ‘Am looking for replacement soles for mine. Can you provide info on same for a fellow ski patroller?
      Thanks so munch,

Grant Artist (NSP)

26. Marty says:

I have been skiing with my SX-90s since 1983; I purchased them while on a ski vacation in France. I’ve tried other ‘modern’ boots over the years; but keep returning to my SX-90 set. They are comfortable, reliable, warm, and very easy to get in / out of. Like other commenters, I don’t understand why the ski boot industry doesn’t return to this type of product.

27. Wendy says:

I bought my Solomon SX51’s back in 1988. I still ski on them and I am generally quite an aggressive skier. I still love them, and was lucky enough to get a new pair of the exact boot in brand new condition, as my current ones are pretty shot.

People laugh at me all the time when they see me skiing on a double rocker ski with these boots. I was told with my current skis that I am skiing on a BMW with beach balls for wheels. I don’t really care, my feet feel great after a day on the slopes.

I did buy new boots and just hate them. They hurt my feet, my feet go numb in lift lines and there is just not enough support.

I am not your typical skier though and have had boot issues forever. I am a short woman (4’10”) and the calf muscle is much lower than on most people and I often can’t buckle up a boot. I have tried mens’ women’s, juniors, etc… and nothing fits right. I am also a bit stockier than most skiers too, so I am not a size 4. I will continue to use these boots until I am not able to ski anymore! The only issue I have at times is when I ski in the trees, I have just a bit of extra room and sometimes they are not as responsive as I need them to be. At least they are responsive enough so I don’t run into them!

28. Vincent says:

I’ve just start my ski season at Big White (BC, canada) with my Salomon Equipe SX91 which I’ve been using since around 1988. I have change my skis, because technology has improve. The guy at the shop didn’t want to adjust my SX91 on them, telling they would broke shortly. I had to insist. It was three years ago. My brother have the same boots and still skis with them also.

I consider myself a very good skier and I still push my equipment (an myself) to the limits. My SX91 still have all the afford mention qualities and they haven’t start to crack or broke yet (except a small crack in the middle of the white part behind the calf). I actually found this page while searching for information on SX91 which had broke. I haven’t found anything yet of people saying their SX91 had exploded while skiing (which I have seen with other boots of that era). Great boots of impressive quality.

29. Todd McKinnon says:

Wore out my SX-90’s years ago but they were my favorite boots all time. Just switched to newer parabolic skiis as my old skinny Heads broke. After a season on new style skiis I’m ready to go back to long skinny’s! I feel more stable on fast level runs and turning is the same. Salomon please dust off the molds and bring back the SX-90’s

30. Rex Butcher says:

I had a pair of SX 90 from virtually when they were introduced. they were wonderfullly comfortable and held my feet well. Hadn’t worn them for a few years, but the last time I put them on, it was the last time. Did up the calf clip and the plastic shin broke away! Always thought plastic was tough and almost indestructible, but no!

31. Mark Rivette says:

Born in 1959 skied in leather boots and lots of family skiing in Banff area. In my early teens started skiing on the first head skis and for boots eventually moved to Salomon rear entry SX – best boots ever – saddened by the pressure in my thirties and forties to buy the standard boot style. I learned to dread ski boots – tried every fit fad and never found anything that I could say were comfortable and firm. Thousands of dollars later and now in my late fifties my wife and I are skiing and it’s wonderful and magical again. Found Alpina rear entries and while softer flex than I wanted I am skiing again with pure joy. At a cost of $129USD. A great retirement gift to be skiing and loving it. I am no longer convinced by the hype that aggressive skiing requires aggressive boots. I can still push a set of stiff skis through fast GS turns and that’s with a set of boots no manufacturer, other than Alpina (flex rating of 40), seems to want to support. Anyone watching me ski would never ever guess my boot flex was a 40 and my toes no longer freeze up. Miracles do happen. Hmm wonder how those leather double laced up boots would work?

32. Kelly Obrien says:

Love love love my Nordica 957 circa late 80’s. Still feel GREAT. Ive tried new demo boots that claim to be maximum comfort but nothing compares to my Nordicas! Walking is soooo much easier with that rear opened up. No “stormtrooper stomp”!????

33. bob says:

Anyone know where to get replacement heel plates for Salomon Team EXP 83? Thanks.

34. Boris Považay says:

Honestly , I am not considered a bad skier by my peer group (Austrians who spend multiple weeks on skies every year), but I really will think of quitting once I have to switch from my trusted Nordica rear entry boots (or equivalent) to the cumbersome top/front entry pieces that only mean pain throughput a long skiing day, while I can get in and out of my current bots within seconds and can control them with ease to suit the next slope by quickly adjusting a knob or a slider for harder or softer control.
    It is beyond me that one wants to spend a whole day on shoes that only mean pain and therefore cause people to ski worse and with less fun, just because they can show off some silver front-mounted braces in their boots. From an engineers perspective I have to say that precise alignment always comes with independent control over the degrees of freedom – and this is what a proper rear-loader can do much better than a front-loader. Although the latter are cheaper to build, I am happy to spend some money on proper boots that have to be worn for a long time. But probably most skiers do not want to ski, but rather like to show off in an apres-ski bar with some old-fashioned, metal-covered front-loader.
    Top entry boots IMHO are a medieval remnants that have taken the commercial skiing world over (again). I put my hopes up that the upcoming Chinese rush to comfortable and precise skiing boots will put things right again, so that we can re-enter a modern age of skiing, before there is no snow left – after global warming!

35. Bendik says:

Every time I struggle on or struggle off my Tecnica Zero G Guide Pro I either swear inside or scream out so loud so neighboring skiers look at me in shock. Ah, the pain! The incredible arrogance. I just cannot believe that in 2018 ski boots are at this crap level. My wife and child must listen to me venting fumes about useless engineers and marketing idiots. I HATE these “modern” boots. The only alternative I see are the Full Tilt, but haven’t tried them yet. Otherwise I will have to start up a new SX92 factory. Damn this business.

36. Jonathan Levine says:

The pair of (yellow!) Hanson Avantis I bought in ’76 or ’77 were the best boots I ever skiied. The design still looks stunning after all these years and they fit like a dream (mine were originally wax-fit). I had them canted and loved the weight and stiffness, and the raised/tilted footbed made it feel like I was always attacking the hill. By the time Hanson went out of business, though, I’d pulverized the liners, and in a moment of poor judgement (during a move) a few years later, threw them out. I’ve regretted it ever since, and since the rise of ebay I’ve been looking for a replacement pair.

A few years back I thought I’d hit the jackpot and bought a green pair (in my size – 4) that was in excellent condition, and particularly the liners, which hadn’t begun to crumble. The first time I skiied them, though, one of the shells shattered. What I discovered is that there’s something (presumably a solvent) in the Flolite that attacks the shell plastic if it gets out of its packet. It’d be interesting to learn whether anyone who was at (or connected with) Hanson had any idea about this potential problem.

And in the meantime, if anyone has a pair of size 4 Avantis they’re willing to part with, I’d be incredibly happy to hear from you via jonathan.canuck.levine@gmail.com

• Lars Hansen says:

I too have those yellow Hanson Avanti’s, bought new in 77? The neoprene liners finally disintegrated. Best boots ever! paired with some short (195) Olin Mark VI and Salomon 555 equipes! Skied them last year in Snowbird/Alta. Lots of good “Olds Kool” comments!

37. Paul Kutz says:

I have been skiing on my SX 70s for 31 years! Just went skiing last weekend and the plastic broke while walking to the slopes! (UGH) They are the most comfortable boots ever worn. I had to rent a pair of front loaders and they hurt my feet! Bring back the rear loaders!

• Gunnar Jernberg says:

Bought a pair of SX70 for about 1 dollar, put in liners from a pair of Rossignol rear-entry (also 1 dollar, in a Swedish flea market) and now all the pain and ago y from putting regular boots on is entirely gone! They are a little bit to comfortable for maximum control but work fine off pist and in moguls. I do miss my old Scott superhot, but they were completely stitched up with stainless steel straps and pop rivets years ago ????.

38. Ed Broadhead says:

The heel pads on my SX91E’s have disintegrated. Anyone know of a pad that can be adapted?
    Anyone with a 3D printer that can copy one?

39. Ray says:

I am about to set off to Italy for another week with my trusty, museum piece Salomon SX80’s. Had ’em since new.
    Amazing boots & still showing no signs of fatigue.

Always raises laughs among the ski hire shop jockeys, but I’m too old to care.

40. Ivan Stefanovic says:

It took me 12 minutes two weeks ago on a mountain, with the help of a friend I leaned heavily on, before I managed to squeeze my feet into regular, Rossignol ski boots, with the help of a metal shoehorn I carry always, But such ordeal brought me to the verge of giving everything up and close to tears.
    In the end I also discovered that a side knuckle on my left foot was bleeding, after its skin peeled off, generating considerable pain.
    I also have high arch while my wide feet force me to buy use bigger sizes. Which results in my toes being too loose in the boots, doing cha-cha-cha, while my foot are exposed to unnecessary rubbing. Which lessens my control of the skis while spoiling adequate skiing performance.
    Is there a thingamajig to take a cast of my feet for rear-entry Alpine ski skiboots to resolve my problem before I buy your r.e. boots?
    Thank you.

41. Denys Blondiaux says:

LO all of you. I’m just in the middle of my 58th ski season and was still wearing Salomon SX72 boots (some 30 years old!) when the cable of one of them broke! Sad, sad, sad, I had to purchase some new 4 bucles plus velcro Head boots. What a pity to have to leave those boots it just took some seconds to put on or loosen for some rest ….Is there a way to find spare cables and replace them? I only go skiing 6 weeks each year in the French Alps and miss my rear-entry SX72!

42. JOHN DUNCKER says:

I am still skiing in my beloved Salomon SX 92 equipes.

When my SX 90 equipes broke I spent money and misery trying to find a 4 clip boot that gave me anything near the same edge control without agonising pain.

Finding the 92s kept me skiing. Just back from 3 weeks skiing Alta/Canyons

Life is good

43. Jim Nissel says:

I consider myself lucky. In the mid 1980’s I purchased a pair of Salomon SX92
    Boots. They served me well over the lifespan of several pairs of skis including my most recent purchase of Stockli’s. I primarily ski in Pennsylvania with the occasional trip north to Sugarloaf. When skiing in the West west I take my boots, skinny poles, and rent “Demos” locally so I can sample an assortment of skis suited to the terrain. This year we skied Deer Valley and the rental shop refused to mount skis claiming the replaceable sole plates on the 92’s were too far gone. It took 2 days and many trips back to the shop to find a pair which fit and had the proper flex. My first few attempts at getting into the boots was not at all fun. In fact it was downright frustrating and I don’t plan on going through the ordeal again. Ever. That night I searched eBay to see if I could find an old pair of 92 sole plates. I found a few pairs of boots and asked one seller to take a few pictures of the sole plates. They looked great so I purchased the boots without delay. They arrived the day we returned from Utah. I opened the box the next morning and couldn’t believe my luck. The boots were in like-new condition. I would be surprised if they were worn more than 3 times. They were the same size as my old pair and after swapping the pieces which were added by the original fitter and Volia! I have a new pair of Salomon SX 92’s which should last me the remainder of my days on skis.

44. Bob Curtis says:

I am now in my 60th year of skiing. I am still on my SX 93 exp boots! I love them, and tell folks that they know what to do; why change? I just spent a week in Squaw and Park City with them and do get an occasional stare. One gent in the elevator said “what an interesting design, are they experimental”! My wife stopped using hers some years ago when a cable broke and I could not get the parts. We still have a pair of sx 92 in the basement that were my sons. I also have two pair of Rosemont fiberglass boots that opened to the side like a clam shell.

All I can say is that the boots are warm, dry and easy to get on and off!

45. Walter Peachey says:

On the advise of my dentist who was with the world ski racing organization, I picked up a pair of SX-90’s. Probably a few years after the first rear entries. I don’t ski frequently, but they still are in great shape. Well almost. A local organization was having a garage sale shortly after I bought the originals and there was another pair – exactly the same size for 1$ Canadian. Used the original pair until the heel pad gave up, so I now use the original pair for parts. LOL. Even got the thumbs up from a young lifty this last season for the boots. And yes I have gone through a number of skis since and did get the “They will explode”. Touch wood – they haven’t yet.

46. Peter Claffey says:

Thanks guys for all the comments. I was about to toss my old rear entry 91`s . But after reading the posts will continue to enjoy them. But will need to upgrade from my old Dynastars. Too long and heavy for my ageing limbs.

47. Peter Claffey says:

BTW still occasionally wear the old one piece Descente suit……purchased in the 70`s and it still fits …yahoo. Get lots of interesting comments on the hill

48. Gary says:

I still Ski on my Salamon SX 91 Euipe Boots Jewry 30 years old and love em to bits ..But last year a ski hire shop refused to hire me some skis as they said my boots were too old and dangerous as the plastic toe or heel binding lug could snap off as the plastic would have diteriorated over the years… I can’t see this as they are in a bag most of the year in a cuboard… Anyway I got some skis from another shop and merrily skied on…? Good news though I’ve heard that Rear Entry boots are making a come back next year… Bring it on.??
    Does anyone know where I can get new toe and heel inserts…?